Sunday, October 30, 2011

2011 Horrorfest Pt. 11

Land of the Dead (2005)
This was so much better than Survival of the Dead. The story was much better, there was much more zombie action, and the use of CGI didn't stand out as badly as it did in Survival.  Plus it had Dennis Hopper!  I still have one more Romero zombie film to check out - the middle film of his second trilogy, Diary of the Dead - and I hope it leans more towards this one than Survival



Dead Men Walk (1943)
It wasn't until I was halfway through this movie that I realized I had already seen it. Oh well.  It is a nice little twist on a vampire story - an evil man is murdered by his twin brother, but, because of his involvement in the occult, he finds a way to be resurrected as a vampire-type creature to get his revenge.  The effects at the end when the twins are fighting are kind of bad, but the rest of the film was decent, if not anything outstanding.



Blood and Lace (1971)
Until the very end of this movie, there was nothing about good that even comes close to recommending it, other than the fact that it stars Uncle Leo from Seinfeld!  ("Jerry!  Hello!"). This was supposed to be a slasher-type flick, but honestly not a whole lot was going on.   HOWEVER, the last 5 minutes are so batshit crazy insane that I was laughing out loud at the utter ridiculousness of it.  Totally made the whole movie for me.



Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus (2009)
This is the ultimate bad movie for a "Bad Movie Night".  The acting by the cast, including the "Electric Youth" herself, Deborah Gibson, is terrible.  The sets are cheap.  The special effects are laughable.  Yet, I still enjoyed it.  It contains one of the most ludicrous scenes I have ever seen - the mega shark jumps out of the water and attacks an airliner.  It is fantastically bad.

(Instead of a trailer, I am posting that scene, as it is awesome...)


Hands of the Ripper (1971)
This is a Hammer film, one of the few that I have seen that didn't involve vampires, mummies, Frankenstein or werewolves.  I enjoyed this film a lot.   Its about Jack the Ripper's daughter who is possessed by his spirit after his death.  Whenever someone tries to kiss her, his possession of her is triggered and she kills.  The film was pretty gory for the seventies, and had a nicely tense climax.

No comments:

Post a Comment