Sunday, October 9, 2011

2011 Horrorfest Pt. 3

The Awakening (2010)
This film is so low budget and unknown, I couldn't even find it on  Wikipedia or on IMDB.  Where does Netflix find these films?  This was another one that was fairly boring.  The plot involves a group of friends driving from LA to find a rave in the middle of nowhere.  Unbeknownst to them, the rave is taking place in an area that contains the spirit of an imprisoned Aztec demon (or something like that) that has been freed and is on the rampage.  The problem is that it takes like what seems to be 3/4 of the film for the main characters to get to the rave.  By that point, the demon has killed all the party-goers (in a scene which took approximately 3 minutes - the film's low budget really showed through here) and is looking for more victims. The inevitable scenes of the characters being separated and picked off one by one offer no real excitement - there is no tension or terror or even any really good bloody scenes to make up for the lackluster plot.  The only thing that redeemed this film is that they elected not to go for the happy ending, so that was a nice change.

(Not surprisingly, I couldn't find a trailer on Youtube.  Here is the cover art from Netflix at least...)


Nightmare Alley (2010)
Here is another low budget offering from Netflix - at least I could find this film on IMDB. This film is a series of short films tied together with a "Crypt Keeper" type host.  However, I only made it to the second short.  It involved a possessed toy rat and was so stupid I turned this film off...




Puppet Master (1989)
This is another 80s cult classic.  I am not sure if I have ever seen this whole film, unedited, from start to finish before.  I know I have seen parts of it, most likely on the USA Network back in the 80s or early 90s (back then, USA used to show horror films all the time on the weekends - not just on Up All Night either, I mean during the day).

The plot revolves around a group of psychics  summoned to a hotel owned by the wife of a former friend who recently committed suicide.  While they are there, the psychics are picked off one by one by murderous living puppets (it turns out that back in the 30s, a man figured out how to give life to inanimate objects and after his death at the same hotel, the puppets remained).  The puppets are really creepy and I love the puppet-eye view shot in some scenes to show how close they are to the characters without their knowing.  I really enjoyed this one.



Poltergeist (1982)
I watched this film last year on Halloween, so I am not going to add anything to what I already said about it then.  The only reason I watched it again this year was because i had a chance to see it on the big screen and it was pretty cool.  One of the theaters by my house is showing classic films on the big screen all month, and I am going to try and hit as many of them as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment