Friday, October 28, 2011

2011 Horrorfest Pt. 10 (including the Thursday night shows from 10/27)

Since it is October 28 already, and I way behind on writing up these films (with plenty more films still to watch), I need to pick up the pace.  So, I am probably going to have to limit myself to a quick blurb on each of these films...


Thursday Night Shows
Three of the shows last night did Halloween episodes, so it is alright to save even more time by including my thoughts on them in this post.
Community - Another episode that told 7 different variations of the same type of story (just like last episode).  While not was funny as the multiple timeline craziness, it was pretty damn funny.  Grade: B+

Parks & Rec - I really enjoyed both storylines in this episode.  Tom's efforts to hijack Leslie's meeting were hilarious (I loved that he had his face plastered everywhere).  I will be sad to see "Entertainment 720" goingt away, as Tom and Jean Ralphio's extravagance were always a great source of comedy (like Tom's hot tub Hummer limo this week).  Andy and April's Halloween party was a blast as well.  Grade: B+

The Office - This episode was made by Robert California.  The way he creepily hovered around the whole party, then turned everyone's fears into a cohesive Halloween story was enjoyable.  I also liked Gabe's crazy video that they showed in order to make the party more adult.  Grade: B

Its Always Sunny - Not a Halloween episode unfortunately, but it would have been hard to top last season's (when the gang tried to figure out the father of Sweet Dee's baby).  What we did get last night, though, was HILARIOUS!  The "Chardee MacDennis " game was as ridiculous (and alcohol-fueled) as you would expect from the Gang.  Whenever the Paddy's crew is in a situation where they are in direct competition (as happens quite often because they are terrible people), the results are usually great, and this episode was no exception.  Grade: A-

Beavis & Butthead - OH MY GOD ITS FINALLY BACK!!!!!  After all the teasing, Beavis & Butthead are finally back on the air.  Since I had seen an extended trailer a few months ago and laughed my ass off at it, I was pretty sure that the new episodes would be able to stand up to the original run, but there was still a small part of me that was nervous.  Thankfully, I can say that I was worried for no reason.  The first episode was very funny.  Grade: B+

Ringu (1998)
I had seen the American remake when it was released, but had never seen the original until now.  Its been so long since I saw the remake, so I don't really remember a lot about it other than the fact that I liked it, making it hard to compare the two.  I really enjoyed the Japanese version.  It built the tension nicely all the way up until the incredibly creepy climax. 



The Blood Spattered Bride (1972)
This is a Spanish horror film that had a lot of things that I liked about it, but they didn't add up to a great film, merely a good one.  Its the story of a new bride, taken to her husband's ancestral home to live, where she falls under the sway of a female vampire (ultimately revealed to be an ancestor of the husband).  The setting is fantastic - I am not sure where exactly it was shot but the house and the surrounding area give a really nice atmosphere.  Its the plot, though, where the movie ultimately comes up short (the scene where they find the vampire buried in the sand and everything after that are particularly stupid).

(I couldn't find a trailer showing any of the actual film that I could use, but this trailer is FANTASTIC)



Who Saw Her Die? (1972)
This an Italian film revolving around a subject that even most horror films shy away from - child killing.  After 2 similar looking children are killed, the parents of the second victim begin their own investigation.  Unfortunately, each new suspect they turn up is then eliminated by the real killer.  This was a pretty good film - anyone who is a fan of 70's Italian horror should check it out.



No comments:

Post a Comment