Tuesday, November 1, 2011

2011 Horrorfest - The Finale

In order to get this wrapped up today, I am just going to list out the remaining movies about which I had not written in order to get to the finale:
Claw of Terror (1973), Madhouse (1974), Don't Torture a Duckling (1972), Unhinged (1982), Dementia 13 (1963), Black Belly of the Tarantula (1971), Mark of the Devil (1970).

As usual, I stuck to classic films for the finale:


The Wolf Man (1941)
I have seen this film a few times - I thought it would be good to start off the day with a classic black and white monster film.  The one thing I can never figure out - why did Lon Chaney, Jr.'s character always change his clothes into the same outfit before he became the werewolf?



Creepshow (1982)
It has been a long time since I have seen this.  The mix of horror and humor still holds up pretty well after all these years, in 3 out of the 5 segments at least.  "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verril" and "They're Creeping Up On You!" both still aren't very good, but I liked the other segments.  The particular highlight is Leslie Nielsen's portrayal as the psychopath in "Something To Tide You Over".



Cannibal Holocaust (1980)
This is the most disturbing film I have ever seen.  I expected that going in, as this is one of the most notorious horror films of all time (the director was arrested after its release, as it was thought this was an actual snuff film).  However, it wasn't any of the human violence depicted that disturbed me so much (I have become pretty desensitized to that in movies).  It was the fact that they actually kill several animals in the film (the giant turtle was the worst) that bothered me so much.  This was a film that I felt I had to see as a film buff, but I will never watch it again.



Suspiria (1977)
After about 40 minutes, the disc wouldn't play anymore (it was scratched all to hell).  Thankfully I have already seen this great film.  I should probably look into get my own copy.  To fill the whole in  my schedule, I decided to watch 3 episodes of The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror: season 2, 3 and 5.  All classics (I needed to make up for how bad this season's episode was).



Alien (1979)
I have of course seen this film many times, but for this viewing I chose the 2003 Director's Cut, which  hadn't watched since I bought the blu ray earlier in the year (by the way,  the blu ray for this and Aliens looks FANTASTIC!).  The main difference with the Director's Cut is the inclusion of a new scene where Ripley stumbles upon two of the characters cocooned by the alien on her way to the escape shuttle (which was something that we originally didn't learn they do until the sequel).  One of the all time great horror films.




Night of the Living Dead (1968)
After watching 2 of Romero's later zombie films, Survival of the Dead and Land of the Dead, I decided it was time to rewatch the original.  I started this one right after Trick r Treating was done.  It was a good choice.



Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
The almost silly way Freddy was portrayed in the later Nightmare movies (he even did a rap song with The Fat Boys, for god's sakes) has obscured for a lot of people just how great and creepy he was in his original appearance.  Freddy was truly scary.



Halloween (1978)
The best of them all...





And... we're done.  That was a lot of horror films over the last month.  Time for a break...

No comments:

Post a Comment