Sunday, February 13, 2011

Thursday Night TV Roundup 2/10/11

Community


That's the Community I have been looking for the last few weeks.  After 2 weeks of really good but not great episodes, and 1 week that rubbed me the wrong way (last week's episode, due to Pierce's behavior, although I suspect I might like it more upon a second viewing), Community is back to top form this week.  Because the characters are so well defined by this point, they have the luxury of highlighting a few of the group instead of the whole and it can carry an episode.  This week, its Jeff, Abed/Troy and, especially, Britta who are highlighted.  Britta has a particularly strong episode as her hipster beliefs that she is better and cooler than everyone else comes back to bite her in the ass, so much so that she ends up making out with another straight woman before she would even think of asking if that woman is a lesbian in fear of seeming (in her opinion) homophobic.  The results were awkward comedy at its best.  

Favorite Scenes: Troy -  "and make sure no one draws weiners in me"; Jeff - "I don't believe in dibs.  Or Love at first sight. or love.  Or best friends. Or doing things";" The looks on everyone's faces after Pierce reads his statement; The whole Bare Naked Ladies thing aregument; Jeff: "I've been forcing myself to be into soccer since 2004"; The return of "streets ahead" (even if it was only in Pierce's head); "What's in the briefcase?" "Tacos.  Want one?"; Chang's nunchuks and the fact that Jeff made him clean up; "

Grade - A-

The Office

The Office long ago stopped being a show about the type of office that is relatable for normal people.  The realism train has long since sailed.  I am sure that has turned some people off, bur I am able to just accept that is the direction the show took, and I accept it.  This was the type of episode that never would have fit in the early seasons, but it was very funny.  Michael and Holly's increasing levels of PDA were ludicrous, but had me laughing out loud several times.  The Holly-Michael relationship is one that most people have been rooting for during  Steve Carell's final season, and this episode had some nice milestones for them.  Even Jim and Pam were enjoyable this week. This was a really solid episode and probably the best of the season so far.

Favorite Scenes: "Birthday Punches!"; "I DOMINATE Valentines Day!"; Oscar's increasing coughing to try and get Michael and Holly to behave; Kevin -  "I enjoy watching them, because it makes me horny"; Gabe - "I get it - Andy's slamming my girlfriend"; Gabe again -  " Yep, all the honkings";; this exchange: Dwight -  "What is the policy on masturbation?" Michael - "Mmm.. pro" ; and my favorite line of the episode - "Hurl your feces!"

Grade - B+

Park & Rec

The roll in season 3 continues.  Any Ron Swanson-centric episode is pretty much guaranteed a B+, but this one definitely delivered above even that.  Hopefully this show will be on for several more years, so that the return of Tammy can be an annual tradition.  Just the sight of Ron Swanson in cornrows and a kimono was enough to send me into hysterical laughter. I also liked how they continue to show Ben learning that Leslie is a special person both professionally and personally.  If they end up getting together, I will be all for it - I think they have great chemistry. 

Favorite Scenes: Ron's alleged overdue library book - "Its not the size of the boat: Living life with a micro-penis"; Leslie - "whale tail!  ABORT!"; "Don't be such a Jerry, Ben!"; Ron - "I am off to have a mid-morning pre-lunch with my lady friend, but I'll be back for  lunch"; I loved the new work relationship with April and Chris; I love the way Chris speaks - "I would like a local beer.  I would like it in a bottle.  And I would like the bottle to be cold"; Tom and Tammy's dancing; The cops all describing the altercation in the bar in the same way; "I wouldn't want him within 500 feet of the library." "That's good advice for all of us"; Andy at the intervention; Ron's warning video, to himself; the return of Andy's alias, Bert Macklin, FBI;  Jerry at the bridal shower; the way Tom runs; Ron - "Women like scars.  It shows you survived an attack.  And they'll assume that attack was from a man."

Grade - A


30 Rock

My internet conked out during this episode, and since I was using this blog template to record my favorite quotes as I watched, I was distracted somewhat from this episode.  I know is was pretty funny, but I need to rewatch it to really appreciate it.  I will edit this post and give it a final grade after I view it again.

Favorite Lines (what I was able to catch): Jack - "I don't sleep on planes.  I don't want to be Incepted"; Jcak to Liz - "Not only is your fly open, there is a pencil sticking out of it"; "Your milk comes in bags.  BAGS!"

(Preliminary) Grade - B+

Archer

My internet was still out, so I don't have any quotes for this one.  However, I gave up on trying to get the internet to connect again during this one, so I was able to pay closer attention.  This was another really good episode. If the Wee Baby Seamus sticks around the rest of the season, it will add another comedy wrinkle to what is already a zany spy workplace show.  It already has one dysfunctional family relationship in Mallory and Archer that they can mine for comedy gold, and fatherhood for Archer is full of potential.  Even if this is a one time only plot, at least it resulted in a really good episode (the highlight was the revelation that Woodhouse the butler is a smack addict).

Grade - B+ 

No comments:

Post a Comment