Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Ah, Summer...

Right now, I am sitting outside in the afternoon, working from home (and other than this blog post I actually HAVE been working). It is gorgeous out and I am partially involved in one of my favorite summer activities - sitting outside and listening to music (I would be completely enjoying this activity if I had a beer as well, but it is a little early for that). I have been listening to a few CD's today that will probably be in heavy rotation this summer - the new Wilco, Camera Obscura, Maximo Park, Bat for Lashes, Depeche Mode. There will be others, but that is what has made the list so far - I am in the process of listening/re-listening to all the CD's I have that came out this year in order to a.) add some newer songs to my master iPod play list, and b.) come up with a "Top 10 CD's from 2009 (so far") list for a future blog post (early front runner for best disc of the year - Bat For Lashes). I really prefer more upbeat stuff in the summer, so there are some good low key discs that came out this year that won't make it on to the "summer rotation" list. Oh well, they will get their due once fall rolls around and only football and Halloween can save me from total depression.

Good music and summer go hand and hand for me, whether its sitting outside at a BBQ (or for no other reason than it is nice out) or just driving around on a beautiful day blasting some tunes. I can't think of ever doing one of those activities without some good music on the stereo (and it doesn't even have to be the kind of music I am really into - I have some great memories of sitting around with my family in the summer while some oldies or classic rock is blaring in the background). Now, I know that I am really into music (that should probably have read REALLY), so I am a little biased on this subject, but I just cannot understand how some people just aren't into music at all or have absolutely no opinions about music (I know people like this). I am not talking about people's tastes in music - I know a lot of people who have wildly different tastes than me that are really into what they like. I mean people that could really not care less about music (I guess its more of an indifference to music). This is unfathomable to me. As far as I am concerned, good music makes EVERYTHING better - a drive, a picnic, a party, a trip to the bar, work, mowing the lawn. If you are having a mediocre time at any of those and some good music comes on, your experience instantly improves (at least for me). I can't imagine how boring your life must be that, in those situations, your mood isn't affected by adding music to the mix.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, listening to Solid Gold Saturday Night. I'm feelin' ya there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats exactly what I was thinking about...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The musically indifferent are probably the same people who are indifferent to the food they eat, the universe in which they live, and the sex they aren't having...

    ReplyDelete