Monday, August 10, 2009

The John Hughes Soundtrack

When John Hughes passed away last week, I can't say I was saddened (I mean, come on, I didn't know him) but I was a little bummed. I really loved his movies when I was growing up (I think I watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off about 40 times with my friends Jeff and Chris). I am not going to write about the movies - there have been 1000 articles and blogs on that subject in the last week. Also, I haven't watched these movies in a while, so I am not sure if I will like them as much now - my tastes have changed as I've grown older. However, there is one big aspect of Hughes' movies that I know I still love and that was the music. A lot of these movies involved characters that were either outsiders or on the fringe of the popular groups, and the soundtracks were filled with songs by 80's bands that were not in the mainstream to reflect this. Back when I used to watch these movies, I wasn't really that in to New Wave or alternative music - at that age, I was just into what ever was popular at the time, but I knew that there was something about the songs I was hearing that I really liked - it wasn't until I was much older, and much more adventurous in music listening that I realized 80's New wave and alternative are my favorite musical genres. I wish that I would have dug a little deeper at the time into the songs I was hearing in a movie like Pretty in Pink. I deprived myself of many years of listening pleasure. Oh well...

I have a list below (and I am posting the actual songs when available) for what I feel are the best songs from John Hughes' movies (plus some added information about a few of the songs):

"True" - Spandau Ballet (Sixteen Candles)



"Little Bitch" - The Specials (Sixteen Candles)
Technically, this isn't an "80's" song, since the album on which it was originally released came out in 1979, but I don't care. I am including it anyway because 1.) 1979 is close enough to the 80's, and 2.) I think The Specials are a cool band.



Don't You (Forget About Me) - Simple Minds (Breakfast Club)
Just because this song has been somewhat played out over the years doesn't mean that it isn't a great song (often times, just like the old saying, familiarity with a song breeds contempt).



"Weird Science" - Oingo Boingo (Weird Science)
I don't think anyone would have guessed when this song came out that Danny Elfman, the lead singer of this group (which was also responsible for "Dead Man's Party", which was in another 80's comedy that was a favorite of mine growing up - Back To School), would turn out to be the #1 driving force behind classical movie scores in Hollywood. He was just too weird to even think he could play anything but music that sounds like what Oingo Boino was putting out.




"Tenderness" - General Public (Weird Science)
For some reason, I really love this song. However, I realize it may not be the manliest of songs, but once, I saw a UFC fighter (I cannot remember who for the life of me) use this as his entrance music.



"Eighties" - Killing Joke (Weird Science)



"Beat City" - The Flowerpot Men (Ferris Bueller's Day Off)
I have never heard anything else by this group, but they have a special place in my heart. Back when I was in college, I had a friend that worked at the college radio station. For some reason, he thought it was a good idea to let his jack-ass friends hang out in the booth with him during his shifts and occasionally get on the air. He would bring in a few of his own selections to add to the station's discs and this song on 45 was one of them (yes, back when I was in college the station still had turntables). Since I really liked this song, I made him play it EVERY TIME he was on the air. Not surprisingly, he didn't last long at that job...

(Song not available)

"Desire (Come and Get It)" - Gene Loves Jezebel (She's Having a Baby)
"Haunted When The Minutes Drag" - Love and Rockets (She's Having a Baby)
I have only seen this movie once, and it was a long time ago, so I don't remember if it was any good, nor do I remember these songs from the movie. However, I like both bands and these are good songs, so they are being included.





"If You Leave" - OMD (Pretty in Pink)



"Pretty In Pink" - Psychedelic Furs (Pretty In Pink)
The Psychedelic Furs have become one of my favorite 80's bands. they are coming to Columbus in October and I am really pumped to see them live.



"Shellshock" - New Order (Pretty In Pink)



"Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want" - The Smiths (Pretty In Pink)



"The Hardest Walk" - Jesus and Mary Chain (Some Kind Of Wonderful)



That would make a pretty good 80's playlist on your iPod.

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking just the other day of making a compilation of all my favorite Hughes' movie soudtrack songs!

    ReplyDelete