Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Just Like Getting Old...

Last night, as I was driving home, I was flipping through the radio stations and I came across "Just Like Heaven", which is one of my favorite Cure songs. Normally, that is no big deal, since both CD101 (the local alternative station) and 106.7 (the local pseudo-alternative station) both play The Cure once in a while. However, it wasn't either of those stations - it was 105.7 (The Brew!), which is a classic rock station that leans a little more towards 80's rock (the song played after The Cure was "Home Sweet Home" by Motley Crue). I was pretty shocked - I have never head The Cure played on a classic rock station. I didn't know that they were that popular in those circles. Now, I know that in terms of alternative music, they are extremely popular - maybe one of the most popular alternative bands of all time. But I didn't think they were "mainstream" popular, and I certainly didn't think that they were popular with people that listen to classic rock stations. And, they would have to be, right? I mean, those types of stations don't play just any old song. Some company somewhere had to have done some research and determined that "Just Like Heaven" would fit in on a station like The Brew. I know that people who liked The Cure back in the 80's are getting old now. However, are all of them now listening to classic rock stations? I mean, I know I was listening to a classic rock station, but that was because I didn't have my iPod with me - I think it is pretty apparent from this blog that I listen to some pretty modern music. So, my question is - have the type of people that used to listen to bands like The Cure back in the 80's become full-time classic rock listeners or are they like me, and still trying to find the music that is out there that is outside the mainsteam? I am guessing that I am probably in the minority in this case...


No comments:

Post a Comment