Sunday, December 18, 2011

Top 25 Favorite Songs of 2011

This was an incredible hard list to put together.  I had already decided on my top album list for the year before I attempted this list, and that was so much easier on which to decide.  I guess that means that I loved a lot more individual songs this year than I loved albums that I heard.  I had originally only wanted to pick 20 for the list, but after agonizing just to get it down to 25, I couldn't find 5 more songs that I could eliminate.  So, I decided to just say screw it and stick with 25.  Also, other than the top 3, I am not actually ranking the songs - I had a hard enough time just coming up with these songs, let alone ranking them.  Away we go!

1.) Jay-Z and Kanye West - "That's My Bitch"
  The best song from one of the best hip hop albums I have heard in along time (granted I don't listen to a lot of new hip hop, but still) - even better than Kanye's record from last year.  I could have probably put 2/3 of the songs from Watch The Throne on this list if I wanted to.

2.) TV on the Radio - "Repetition"
  TV on the Radio continues to be one of the most unique sounding bands out there.  This song is rocking and funky all at the same time.

3.) PJ Harvey - "The Words That Maketh Murder"
  This CD came out in the early part of 2011 and it remained one of my favorites all year.  This is another disc that could have the majority of its songs on this list.

Here are the rest (in alphabetical order) with occasional thoughts:

Beastie Boys -"Long Burn The Fire"
  While "Make Some Noise" was the song from Hot Sauce Committee Pt. 2 that got the Beasties the most notice this year (and rightfully so for its epic, 30 minute video), this is the best song from that CD.  It has a great grinding kind of beat and it's amazing that these guys are still doing it like this in 2011.

Beirut - "Vagabond"

Bon Iver - "Towers"
  Yes, "Holocene" from this record earned Bon Iver a Grammy nomination.  And that is a very good song, but I just like this one better.  "Holocene" almost made this list as well, but it was a last minute cut (and will be on my "Honorable Mention" list.


British Sea Power - "Living Is So Easy"

Death Cab For Cutie - "Doors Unlocked & Open"


The Decemberists - "Dear Avery", "January Hymn", "Rox in the Box"
  I said earlier that I could have put multiple selection on this list from Jay-Z & Kanye and PJ Harvey, but I was able to limit myself to 1 song each since the 2 I selected were far and away the top songs on those discs.  That was not the case with The King Is Dead by The Decemberists.  When I got down to these 3 songs, I couldn't see eliminating any of them, so I just kept all 3.  Hell of a comeback year for The Decemberists after how crappy The Crane Wife was.

Destroyer - "Chinatown"

Feist - "Anti-Pioneer"

The Fruit Bats - "You're Too Weird"

Kurt Vile - "Jesus Fever"

Loney, Dear - "What Have I Become?"

Low - "Especially Me"

My Morning Jacket - "Holdin' On To Black Metal"

The Mountain Goats - "Age of Kings", "Beautiful Gas Mask"
  This was another case where I couldn't see picking one song over the other, so I didn't.  Maybe I need to be more decisive next year, but if I did that this year, this post would be coming out in January...

The Raveonettes - "Forget That You're Young"

Vivian Girls - "I Heard You Say"

Wilco - "I Might"

Wye Oak - "Holy Holy"

Yuck- "Get Away"

Since I can post an actual playlist from Spotify to go along with this blog, I decided not to say something about each song in an effort to get this damn post finished.  If you are curious about any of these songs, they'll be on the playlist that I am posting on Facebook.

Coming Soon: I will post an "Honerable Mention" playlist of the songs that just didn't quite make the cut.  Then, more year end blogs, including the top albums of the 2nd half of 2011 and the overall album list.

No comments:

Post a Comment